Barbara Mosher’s love for art, paint and the creative process began at age five, with her first “canvas” of cardboard taken from her father’s freshly starched white dress shirts. With her tin container of watercolors and a cheap brush, she painted the blue hydrangeas blooming in her yard on that light brown cardboard.
Barbara attended Center for Creative Studies in Detroit, Michigan and studied Industrial Design. She became one of the very first women designers for General Motors but she continued her painting and creating. Later she owned a graphic design and printing business creating professional logos and business materials.
Barbara's art garners recognition and awards. In 2016, she was listed as one of the 50 to watch in San Diego by the Studio Door. Jazzercize corporate headquarters in Carlsbad, California selected her art for their collection. Barbara is also a writer, and sculptor.
Barbara continues to find the most joy in her well-used paint brushes, always remembering where it all began, with those beautiful blue hydrangeas.
I am a colorist. I love to see how colors interact with one another. As my muse takes over, I get lost in the experimentation of the line and the meshing of form and color. I often paint with my hands to transfer the energy I am feeling directly onto the canvas, waiting for my inner world to come within reach so that it can exist outside of me. My art has been called eclectic, evocative and powerful. Energy resonates my canvases and the colors vibrate among the shapes which hint of my prior work as an automotive designer. I embrace the world, as the world embraces me, and I am influenced by culture, its struggles and its beauty.
I have called myself an artist since I was 5 years old, but not until I moved into abstract art, after a career in the more realistic disciplines, did I feel my heart sing as I painted.
- 2023 Juried - Waterworks, Northwest Watercolor Society
- 2023 Juried - Jansen Art Center, Lynden, WA
- 2022 Whidbey Art market
- 2022 Whidbey Island Open Studio Tour
- 2022 Black and White - Fogue Gallery Seattle, WA
- 2022 Solo Show - The Braeburn, Langley, WA
- 2021 Solo Show - Locust Cider, Seattle, WA
- 2021 Solo Show - Ken's Market, Seattle, WA
- 2021 Solo Show - Flying Apron, Seattle, WA
- 2021 Solo Show - Esters Enoteca, Seattle, WA
- 2020 Juried - Fusion Art, Palm Springs, CA
- 2020 Juried - Jansen Art Center, Group show, Lynden, WA
- 2020 Solo Show - Edmonds Vision, Edmonds, WA
- 2020 Juried Studio 103, Group Show, Seattle, WA
- 2019 AbstractX4 - Group Show -Langley, WA
- 2019 - Whidbey Island Open Studio Tour
- 2018 - Fusion Arts - Honorable Mention - "Warhol"
- 2018 - Fusion Arts - Best in Show - "Lipstick on His collar"
- 2018 - Skagit Valley Artists - Arts Alive juried show
- 2018 - Whidbey Island Open Studio tour
- 2018 - Whidbey Island Garden Tour
- 2017 - The Loft - Oak Harbor, Washington - Group show
- 2017 - Juried - Solo show- Encinitas Public Library "Art As I See It"
- 2016 - Juried - Linus Gallery - Vibrance show - "Aerie"
- 2016 - Juried - Linus Gallery - Urban Show- "Lipstick On His Collar"
- 2016 - Juried - Linus Gallery - Urban Show - "Steel and Glass"
- 2016 – Juried-Edgar Allen Poe Show-San Diego, Ca.-Art On 30th – “Full Moon”
- 2016 – Juried (online) - Edgar Allen Poe Museum, Richmond VA. “Full Moon”
- 2016 – Juried- Busboys and Poets, Artists United, Washington D.C- painting, “Political Show 2016”
- 2016 – Juried - San Diego Museum of Art Artist Guild, Poway Center for the Arts, painting “Border Bus Stop”
- 2016 – “50 to Watch” in San Diego, Studio Door, San Diego, CA
- 2016 - Juried Show, Oceanside Museum of Art, NCRT, painting “River Wild”
- 2016 – Jazzercize World Headquarters, Carlsbad, CA
- 2016 – Artistic Lifestyles Gallery, San Diego, Ca
- 2015 – Represented the United States at the World Art Games, Bratislava, Slovakia
- 2015 – Zichy Palace, Bratislava, Slovakia, painting “Swept Away”
- 2015 – Zichy Palace, Bratislava, Slovakia, painting “Pick Up Sticks”
- 2015 – Juried, Orange County Creatives Gallery, painting “Frivolity”, selected as Juror’s Choice
- 2015 – Juried, Centennial exhibit Balboa Park, SDMAAG, painting “Pick Up Sticks”
- 2015 –Dolphin and Hawk Gallery, La Jolla, CA painting “Land of Red”
- 2015 - Dolphin and Hawk Gallery, La Jolla, CA painting “Water’s Edge”
- 2015 – Ecofest, Encinitas, CA , painting “Up In Smoke”
- 2014 – Landmark Theatre, San Diego, CA “ Clown in Town”
- 2009 – El Cajon Public Library, El Cajon, CA
- 1998 – SPRITES, El Cajon, CA
- 1980 – Quail Creek Country Club, Oklahoma City, OK
- 1979 – Summerfield Community Center, Oklahoma City, OK
- 1978 – Midwestern State University – Wichita Falls, TX
- 1976 – Orchard Lake Country Club, Orchard Lake, MI
- 1976 – Center For Creative Studies, Detroit, MI
- 1975 – Birmingham Community Center, Birmingham, MI
- 2021 - Chateau Orquevaux, France
- 2016 – Jazzercise World Headquarters, Carlsbad, CA.
- 2015 – World Art Games, Zagreb, Croatia
- 2021 - Voyage Magazine, St Louis, MO
- 2019 - South whidbey Record, Langley Washington
- 2019 -Fashion & Arts Magazine , Madrid, Spain
- Current - Huffington Post Contributor – “Art As I See It”
- 2016- Linus Galleries - Urban Art show -
- 2016 - Art Collector World Magazine
- 2016 - Encinitas Public Library - solo show
- 2016 – “50 To Watch” publication sent to 2500 Art Galleries, by the Studio Door, San Diego, CA
- 2015 – World Art Games, promotional
- 2012 – Daily California Newspaper
- 1998 – KUSI Television
- 1998 – San Diego Union Tribune
- 1998 – Daily Californian Newspaper
- 1978 – Wichita Falls Time
- 1978 – Dallas Morning News
- 2018 - Best in Show - Fusion Art Palm Springs "Lipstick on His Collar"
- 2016 – “50 to Watch”, San Diego Studio Door
- 2015 – Juror’s Choice – Orange County Creatives, “Frivolity”
- San Diego Museum of Art, Artist Guild
- Oceanside Museum of Art, Artist Alliance
- Whidbey Island Arts Council, VP
Fogue Studios and Gallery, Seattle, WA
Bravo Gallery, San Diego, CA